Serving Essex, Kingsville, And Surrounding
Root Canal Treatment
Root canal treatment is a form of endodontic treatment that is performed to remove the infected tissues from the inside of the tooth. Root canal therapy is a conservative approach and is performed to save an infected or damaged tooth from being removed while alleviating painful symptoms.
It involves the removal of the core of the tooth, the dental pulp, along with the infected tooth portion. Although it gains a reputation for being a painful treatment, it is, in reality, a pain-relieving treatment.
When is Root Canal Therapy Needed?
Bacteria release toxic acidic by-products in the mouth, causing dental decay, which eventually leads to the formation of dental cavities. If a dental cavity remains untreated, the bacteria march inside the tooth and infect the dental pulp. Once the dental pulp is infected, it leads to pain.
In some situations, the infection can even spread to the bone and lead to abscess formation, which is often accompanied by pus discharge in the mouth and is a dental emergency.
In such cases, a root canal treatment is carried out to remove the infected pulp and drain the pus, if any. This reduces pain and clears out the infection, ensuring the tooth’s survival in the oral cavity.
Root canal treatment may also be indicated in cases of dental injuries, especially when the broken tooth fragment is large and the pulp is exposed.
Is a Root Canal Treatment Painful?
The pain associated with root canal treatment comes from the infection and not the treatment. The entire treatment is carried out under local anesthesia, which will make sure you remain comfortable and pain-free.
Some discomfort and tenderness are common after a root canal treatment. Our dentist at Essex Family Dental will prescribe you some painkillers to relieve this pain. They may also put you on antibiotics for prompt resolution.
The entire treatment typically takes 3 to 4 visits to our clinic in Essex. In some cases, it can even be completed within a day. However, the duration and number of sessions required will depend on individual cases and the severity of infection.
Procedure for a Root Canal Treatment
The root canal therapy process at Essex Family Dental can be described in three steps.
- Cleaning the root canal: Root canal treatment is usually performed under local anaesthesia, which numbs the tooth and provides you with a pain-free experience. A dental drill is used to open the top portion of the tooth and roof of the tooth’s root. Next, a series of specialised root canal instruments are used to remove the infected pulp and clean the root canal. It also prepares the canal for root canal filling.
- Filling the root canal: Once the roots are cleaned, a root filling material is used to pack and seal the tooth’s root. This is done to ensure stability and prevent any offending agent from entering the tooth’s root.
- Placement of a dental filling or a crown: Once the tooth’s roots are sealed, a dental filling is used to restore and rebuild the top portion of the tooth. In cases of more extensive damage, a dental crown will be recommended to protect and restore the tooth’s shape, size, strength and function.
Please schedule your dental appointment with us at Essex Family Dental today to be at the top of oral and overall health!
If you have any more questions or want to know more about our services, please reach out to us; our team will be there to assist you.
Or call us today to schedule your appointment: (519) 961-9211
Top Dental Care Provider
Premium Care Guaranteed
Book Your Experience
Frequently Asked Questions
A general dental examination is a series of procedures where an experienced dentist checks your teeth for problems and reports depending on how severe the pain is.
Toothaches are unbearable, and it is a good idea to get your teeth checked periodically through a dentist to avoid severe problems like tooth decay, infection, or the need for a root canal. A lot of trouble can be avoided by performing regular dental examinations.
Dental examinations are the best way to prevent your teeth from severe problems like tooth decay, infection, or crooked teeth. We offer various services, and they are not limited to listed below. Please reach out to us to learn more about our service offerings.
- Full periodontal exam
- Complete exam of teeth
- A Dental Aesthetic exam
- Evaluate your overall health and oral hygiene
- Assess your risk of tooth decay, root decay, and gum or bone disease
- Consider your need for tooth restoration or tooth replacement
- Check your bite and jaw for problems
- Assess your need for fluoride
No, dental extractions are not painful. The dentist will provide local anesthesia, if needed, during the procedure to eliminate the pain.
A root canal procedure might sound painful, but root canal procedures are more sophisticated due to today’s advanced techniques and instruments. The dentist may use local anesthesia to ease the pain. Root canal procedures can be carried out without any pain.
A root canal lasts a lifetime. The root canal treatments are very successful and offer benefits like pleasing aesthetics, restoring the strength and bite power of the teeth, and decreasing the chances of tooth decay or other problems that might need more time, attention, and money.
Our Dental Services includes
Wisdom Teeth Extraction
Dentures and Partials
Crowns, Bridges, Veneers