Transform Your Smile Today
Living with missing teeth is difficult and can be a source of significant distress. Moreover, teeth replacement options like dentures and dental bridges fail to offer a permanent solution and often look unnatural. However, thanks to the ever-advancing dental sciences, our patients now have the option to go for dental implants. Our general dentists at Essex Family Dental are equipped with the technology to ensure you get the treatment you want. Along with our dental team, we provide you with the dental experience you deserve.
What are Dental Implants?Dental implants are screw-shaped surgical fixtures placed inside the jawbone through a tiny incision on the gums. It takes 3-6 months for a dental implant to integrate and become one with the jawbone. Once integrated, a dental implant acts as a tooth root and forms a foundation for the placement of dental crowns, bridges, and even fixed dentures. Tooth implants can be used to replace a single, few or all missing teeth
Benefits of Dental Implants
- Fixed and permanent teeth replacement solution – Since dental implants are fixed to the jawbone, they are permanent and do not need replacement. Dental implants also offer superior aesthetics and look natural.
- Prevents bone loss – Once the tooth is lost, the underlying bone starts to wear off as it is no longer stimulated by the root, which leads to bone loss. A dental implant imitates a natural tooth root, stimulates the bone, prevents bone loss, and maintains facial proportion.
- Improves the appearance – Having a complete smile enhances your appearance, reduces the visibility of facial wrinkles and increases self-confidence.
- Restores speech – Missing teeth affect how we enunciate and lead to speech impediments. In addition, dentures can also alter the way we speak. On the other hand, dental implants behave just like a natural tooth and restore speech to as before.
- Better chewing – Unlike dentures, dental implants can sustain heavy chewing forces, which means you will find it easier to chew and eat. There are no food restrictions, and you will be able to consume all your favourite foods with dental implants.
- Durable – They are durable and can last a lifetime with proper care.
- Easy to maintain – Once they heal, they do not require any special care. Brush, floss and rinse as you usually would to maintain your dental implants.
Can Anyone Get Dental Implants?
Dental implants are rarely a contraindication for anyone. If you have good overall health and have no active infection in the oral cavity, you can opt for dental implants. However, dental implants may not be advised if you have uncontrolled diabetes, are on blood thinners, have a heart condition, or are undergoing radiation therapy for cancer. A proper evaluation by a dentist at Essex Family Dental is a must as individual cases require individualized treatment plans.
The Dental Implant Procedure
The process starts with determining the best implant procedure for you, whether it’s a single implant, all on 4 dental implants, or all on 6 dental implants, which will vary according to the number of missing teeth. Dental implants are one of the best procedures to restore your smile when dealing with a missing tooth, or even multiple teeth.
Dental x-rays and CBCT may also be ordered to evaluate bone health. In cases of deficient bone width and height, bone grafting is recommended, followed by implant placement.
The implant is placed in the jawbone through an incision on the gums. The underlying bone is exposed, and a specialised drill is used to create space for the dental implant. The implant is fixed, and the site is stitched and observed until the implant integrates. Once the implant becomes one with the bone, a crown, bridge or denture is fixed on the implant.
You may have to go without teeth for up to 6 months; however, we also offer immediate loading implants where a temporary prosthesis is placed immediately.
If you have any more questions or would like to schedule a dental implant appointment at Essex, please reach out to us. Our team of highly experienced and friendly dental professionals is here to assist you.